Lotus 1972 Brian Hart 416B Twin Cam
Very low time on original build Hart 416B. Only two owners, the first of whom never ran it. The second has put about 100 miles on it and has replaced all seals and gaskets.
Location: Ontario, Canada
The previous owner had bought the engine directly from Brian Hart and imported it into Canada with the intention of installing it into an Elan. He never completed the project and when I bought the engine from him in 1983, it was brand new, never been run and still in its original crate from Hart.
Around 1985, I installed it in a formula ford that I was running in SOLO1 unlimited class. I quickly discovered that that was way too much horsepower for a FF car and only ran it the one season. I estimate that I put about 100 miles on it that year (5 events x 3 heats x 4 laps x 1.5 mile).
In 2000, I decided that I would install it in my 1973 Lotus Europa. The original water pump has a side inlet, so I bought a front inlet cartridge pump from Dave Bean and installed it on the engine. I still have the original. At the same time, I replaced all the seals and gaskets since I had to pull the head anyway. Unfortunately, other projects prevented me from ever doing the final installation and the engine is still on the stand.
Click on the links below. Use your browser's BACK button to return.
- Engine Builder: Brian Hart
- Manufacturer: Lotus
- Type: Twincam
- Horsepower: 190 bhp at 8000 rpm
- Torque: 133 lb-ft at 6600 rpm
- Induction: Twin DCOE 40mm choke
- Heads: Modified Lotus 12-1 compression
- Block: Steel capped - thick wall block bored 83.5 mm
- Crankshaft: Nitrided steel - +0.015 bearings
- Connecting Rods: Cosworth steel rods
- Pistons: Forged Mahle Racing pistons
- Camshaft: ZL.16, IFO 102 deg ATDC EFO102 deg BTDC
- Valves: Inlet - 1.70
- Valve Train: SPRINGS Special selected - fitted length 1.30
- Maximum revs: 8,800 rpm
Maximum continuous revs: 8,000 rpm
DISTRIBUTOR: Lucas racing type
OIL PUMP: Dry sump - 70 psi
- PRINTING SPECS
| Race Cars For Sale
| New Listings
| Sell Your Car |
| Parts For Sale
| Parts Wanted
| Open Forum
| Site Search
| Marque Ref
| Marque links
| Currency |